Personal Introduction

Background

My true interest in aviation began after I had gotten Flight Simulator X (FSX) for PC. I had always been interested in flying and had been allowed into many cockpits because I wanted to know what everything did and to see the complexity. The fact that the job requires so much knowledge, expertise, professionalism, and the ability to remain calm in stressful situation displays a career with high prestige among the population. People look up to pilots because of the challenging nature of the act of flying. My personality has always had me like being the one who is responsible for others and I fit the stereotypical pilot profile so I don't have to change who I am to fit into the job. Continuing on with the FSX simulator, over the years I had added on various devices to my setup, including a yoke, powerful gaming computer parts, multiple monitors, a head tracking device, and extremely realistic payware aircraft and weather generation. I got so involved with it that I had joined an online community called Boston Virtual and learned instrument approach plates and SIDs/STARs to utilize in my detailed PMDG 737 and 747 aircraft at the age of 15. After doing that for a few years, I found that this career would suit me well through research into what it's like to be a commercial pilot and the daily life and I began my flight training after I had turned 18. I have enjoyed flying since and expect to continue with this hobby until I'm too old to do so.


Current Status


I am working towards an Aviation Flight Technology major and am unsure as to exactly when I will graduate. I only have 9 aviation credits left to graduate, but in order to receive those 9 aviation credits, I have to achieve the ratings they are for. It is likely that I will graduate April 2019 or sooner.


Future Plans


My future plans are to flight instruct once I'm over my 250 hour commercial minimum and have achieved the CFI rating. I will build hours until I hit my 1,000 hour r-ATP minimum and then apply to a few regional airlines. I will not know which ones that I will apply to because of how unstable the regional airline industry is and an airline doing great now may not be doing so well in a year or two. It is likely, based on the current environment, that I will apply to Piedmont, Skywest, and Endeavor. My choice will be dependent on what each airline is offering regarding pay, benefits, company's financial stability, and the aircraft I would be flying. The base is not very important to me as I don't mind living anywhere and commuting is not something that would bother me as much as it may others. When flying at a regional, I will take as many flight hours as allowed since I'm a person who enjoys working (especially a career that you like). My end goal upon being able to upgrade from my captain position (once that has been achieved), is to fly for Delta. It's one of those names that everyone knows and the company has a great history, they treat their employees very well, aircraft are maintained to a high standard, etc. I will retire at the latest age possible, or until my health deteriorates (let's hope not). 


Areas of Interest


My particular areas of interest in today's environment include the capabilities of drones and how the technology is progressing and the daily life of a 121 pilot. I've done quite a bit of research on both, but would like an expert from within to share their knowledge and personal experiences in each of these categories so I can either be more prepared for my 121 future or be in-the-know about drones and the exciting advances in the category.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Blog - The History of Drones

Aviation Organizations

The Commercial Space Industry